Re: Simple SQL INSERT to avoid duplication failed: why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Simple SQL INSERT to avoid duplication failed: why?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Carlo Stonebanks
<stonec.register@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Very good to know, Steve. We're on 9.0 right now but I will investigate as
> all the work is for unattended automatic processes which are continuously
> streaming data from multiple resources and need to resolve these collisions
> by themselves.

If it was me, I'd be putting a 'before' statement level trigger on the
table to raise a warning into the log with the backend pid assuming I
could handle the volume.  There are lots of ways the client could turn
out to be wrong, for example client side connection poolers (which I
tend to hate).  Only when it's 100% proven this is a single backend
case (which none of us really believe is the case including you) is
further research justified.

merlin