Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> I am curious how the 710 or S3700 stacks up against the new M500 from
> Crucial? I know Intel is kind of the goto for these things but the m500 is
> power off protected and rated at: Endurance: 72TB total bytes written (TBW),
> equal to 40GB per day for 5 years .

I don't think the m500 is power safe (nor is any drive at the <1$/gb
price point).  This drive is positioned as a desktop class disk drive.
 AFAIK, the s3700 strongly outclasses all competitors on price,
performance, or both.  Once you give up enterprise features of
endurance and iops you have many options (samsung 840 is another one).
 Pretty soon these types of drives are going to be standard kit in
workstations (and we'll be back to the IDE area of corrupted data,
ha!).  I would recommend none of them for server class use, they are
inferior in terms of $/iop and $/gb written.

for server class drives, see:
hitachi ssd400m (10$/gb, slower!)
kingston e100,
etc.