Re: Problems with hash join over nested loop - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Problems with hash join over nested loop
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jim Nasby <jnasby@enova.com> writes:
>> I've been working on trying to normalize a table that's got a bunch of text fields. Normalizing the first 4 has been
anon-issue. But when I try and normalize 2 additional fields a bunch of query plans go belly-up.

> Try increasing join_collapse_limit/from_collapse_limit.  I'm a bit
> confused by your description but I think maybe you've got more than 8
> relations in the subqueries.

Hm -- wondering out loud if there would be any value in terms of
decorating explain output when that limit was hit and if it's
practical to do so...

merlni