Re: Success stories of PostgreSQL implementations in different companies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Success stories of PostgreSQL implementations in different companies
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Greater London Authority is also ditching Oracle in favour of PG. I
>> consulted them while they kick started their transition and the first new
>> PG/PostGIS only project is already delivered. The number of companies
>> ditching Oracle is probably much larger than it seems, giving the dynamics
>> in salaries. The average PG based salary goes up steady, while working with
>> Oracle is going down pretty quick.
>>
>> At least, so it would look from the UK. An Oracle DBA in average is
>> currently offered some 15% less than a PG dba.
>
> Where I currently work we've been looking for a qualified production
> postgres DBA. They (we?) are hard to come by.

This.  The major barrier to postgres adoption is accessibility of
talent.  OTOH, postgres tends to attract the best and smartest
developers and so the price premium is justified.  This is not just
bias speaking...I work on the hiring side and it's a frank analysis of
the current state of affairs.  Postgres is white hot.

The database is competitive technically (better in some ways worse in
others) vs the best of the commercial offerings but is evolving much
more quickly.

merlin