Re: High CPU load when 'free -m' shows low 'free' memory even though large 'cached' memory still available - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: High CPU load when 'free -m' shows low 'free' memory even though large 'cached' memory still available
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Vince Lasmarias <vincent.lasmarias@gmail.com> writes:
>> For the past few days, we've been seeing unexpected high CPU spikes in our
>> system.
>
> Recent reports have suggested that disabling transparent huge page
> management in your kernel can help with this.  If the excess CPU
> load is mostly "system" time not "user" time then this is probably
> the culprit.

OP double posted this (OP: please refrain from doing that).  I'm not
sure if THP is the issue here (although it is definitely a major
bugaboo if not a disaster IMNSHO) -- see commentary on the 'other
thread'.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1401928047200-5806122.post@n5.nabble.com

melrin