Re: Result Set over Network Question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Result Set over Network Question
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Ronald Hahn, DOCFOCUS INC.
<rhahn@docfocus.ca> wrote:
> After some testing using wiershark (poor mans profiler) to see what was
> going on with the network I found that it was the tools I've been using.
> Both Aqua and PGadminIII have a large overhead per column to get the meta
> data. MSSQL sends that data upfront so the impact isn't as bad. I'm not sure
> if it's a limitation of the pgsql protocol vs tds or a limitation of Aqua or
> a combination of both. At any rate it turns out not to be part of the
> problem I'm having with my software stalling out so I'm back to Square one
> with my problem.

ok, let's figure out what the issue is then.  first, let's make sure
it isn't the server that's stalling: configure
log_min_duration_statement with an appropriate value so you start
catching queries that are taking longer then you think the should be.
 also some client side logging directly wrapping the SQL invocation
couldn't hurt.   is your application jdbc?

merlin