Re: WIP Patch for GROUPING SETS phase 1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: WIP Patch for GROUPING SETS phase 1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT2gzzbyWpw
>
> At around 8 minutes, he shows utilization statistics for cube at
> around 1% across their install base.  That's higher than I would have
> guessed, so, eh, shows what I know.  In any case, I'm not so much
> advocating not caring at all as confining the level of caring to what
> can be done without moving the earth.

cube is a dependency for earthdistance and it's gotten some light
advocacy throughout the years as the 'way to do it'.  I tried it
myself way back in the day and concluded a while back that the 'box'
type + gist was better than earthdistance for bounding box operations
-- it just seemed easier to understand and use.  If you search the
archives you'll probably find a couple of examples of me suggesting as
such.

merlin