Re: What happens between end of explain analyze and end of query execution ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: What happens between end of explain analyze and end of query execution ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Franck Routier <franck.routier@axege.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have query that should be quick, and used to be quick, but is not
> anymore... Explain analyze can be seen here http://explain.depesz.com/s/cpV
> but it is fundamentaly quick : Total runtime: 0.545 ms.
>
> But query execution takes 3.6 seconds. Only 12 rows are returned. Adding a
> limit 1 has no influence.
>
> Postgresql client and server are on the same server, on localhost.
>
> I wonder where my 3.5 seconds are going....

Also, 3.6 seconds according to what exactly?  For example if your 12
rows contain megabytes of bytea data that would be a possible cause
(albeit unlikely) since explain doesn't include network transfer time.

merlin