Re: Database replication method - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Keith
Subject Re: Database replication method
Date
List pgsql-novice
If they both have independent data, that's not quite so bad. I'd just caution you that at some people a request may come in that they want to edit each other's data. I'd make sure and establish a firm plan for that before implementing a solution. Either clearly state it won't be allowed or figure out exactly how it will be handled. Bucardo has some conflict resolution management built in, but you have to be sure that's the method of resolution you want to implement.

If this is a relatively small database, and they will be kept as independent databases, bucardo can be a bit of a chore to set up and maintain. I've been working on a smaller (hopefully easier to use) logical table replication extension.

https://github.com/omniti-labs/mimeo

You could set up replication of the tables that both sites need to some secondary tables made just for replicating the other site's data (perhaps keep it in its own schema). Then you can resolve getting the data in synch yourself whenever it's needed.

Still, I'd definitely recommend going for the single database solution first and then if it really can't work, then go the multi-master route.