Re: PG Docs - CREATE SUBSCRIPTION option list order - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: PG Docs - CREATE SUBSCRIPTION option list order
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:09 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 6:32 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, at 8:59 PM, Peter Smith wrote:
> >
> > The CREATE SUBSCRIPTION documentation [1] includes a list of "WITH"
> > options, which are currently in some kind of quasi alphabetical /
> > random order which I found unnecessarily confusing.
> >
> > I can't think of any good reason for the current ordering, so PSA my
> > patch which has identical content but just re-orders that option list
> > to be alphabetical.
> >
> > AFAICS there is not reason to use a random order here. I think this parameter
> > list is in frequency of use. Your patch looks good to me.
> >

> I also agree that the current order is quite random. One idea is to
> keep them in alphabetical order as suggested by Peter and the other
> could be to arrange parameters based on properties, for example, there
> are few parameters like binary, streaming, copy_data which are in some
> way related to the data being replicated and others are more of slot
> properties (create_slot, slot_name). I see that few parameters among
> these have some dependencies on other parameters as well. I noticed
> that the other DDL commands like Create Table, Create Index doesn't
> have the WITH clause parameters in any alphabetical order so it might
> be better if the related parameters can be together here but if we
> think it is not a good idea in this case due to some reason then
> probably keeping them in alphabetical order makes sense.

Yes, if there were dozens of list items then I would agree that they
should be grouped somehow. But there aren't.

I think what may seem like a clever grouping to one reader may look
more like an over-complicated muddle to somebody else.

So I prefer just to apply the KISS Principle.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia.