Re: idle in transaction process - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Abbas
Subject Re: idle in transaction process
Date
List pgsql-general

Best Regards,
Abbas

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:14 PM, tamanna madaan <tamanna.madaan@globallogic.com> wrote:
Hi All

I am using postgres-8.4.0 on a cluster setup with slony-2.0.4 being used for replication.
Recently , I saw a "idle in transaction" postgres process as below.

postgres 13052 14742 0 May13 ? 00:00:00 postgres: slon abc 172.16.1.1(49017) idle in transaction
I wonder what could have lead to that hung postgres process . I googled about it a lot and they say that it could be
because of abrupt netwotk issue between slony and postgres . But in my case slon was connected
to its local postgres database. So, network wont be an issue in this case . What else could be the reason for
this hung process ? What should I do to come over this kind of issue in future. I think this hung process would have
taken locks on various tables. I wonder if killing the "idle in transaction" process would cause the locks on the tables
to be released or not. Can anyone please  help me on that.

Of course it is a slon process if it is not due to a network issue, then might be any of your scripts, if not you can try by restarting the slon process on origin.

Abbas.

Thanks in Advance .

Tamanna