Re: PostgreSQL License - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ashkar Dev
Subject Re: PostgreSQL License
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all thanks,
I meant maybe I create a web app with PostgreSQL that work locally for example for a pharmacy that stores data by barcode while the DB was created by PostgreSQL how I can sell the Database for him, how to deliver the product to him can I sell the package that contains web app files with PostgreSQL software and the database code?

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 2:23 AM Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> wrote:
På onsdag 18. september 2019 kl. 01:07:41, skrev Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com>:

On Sep 17, 2019, at 4:18 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> wrote:

På tirsdag 17. september 2019 kl. 22:55:02, skrev Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>:
On 2019-09-17 14:56:30 +0300, Ashkar Dev wrote:
> but it is saying (without fee)
> if I create a database with it to work with Web Application if want to sell it
> so the buyer must have the PostgreSQL installed in his device to work offline
> right?
> "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written agreement is
> hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph and
> the following two paragraphs appear in all copies."

This means that you don't have to pay a fee or sign a written agreement
to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation
for any purpose. It doesn't say that you can't charge a fee for
distributing (although why anybody would pay you for something they can
download themselves for free I don't know).

        hp

A rule of thumb is - you can do anything you want with it (the PG software inc. its source), except claim you wrote it, as long as you preserve the original license-file(s).

I take it that the OP has an app/dataset on top of PG he/she wishes to market (and protect).  Perfectly legit, no? Not clear if there is a desire to disable direct db access.

That seems perfectly legit. I'm not sure what "to work offline" means, but using PG for whatever commercial purposes is totally fine, given the license-requirement above.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Attachment