OK to delete old .history files from archive? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Don Seiler
Subject OK to delete old .history files from archive?
Date
List pgsql-admin
TL;DR: Is it OK to delete .history files from WAL archive (wal-g/S3) that are older than the oldest full backup?

Today we had restores fail complaining that they can't find timeline 21 when they should only be on timeline 1. The logs show them recovering 12+ .history files from the WAL archives. Looking at the archives, these history files are all timestamped between last July and October. The restore is from a full backup taken last night.

This happens to be the first restore after adding "recovery_target_timeline='latest'" to our recovery.conf template. So I'm guessing that PG just didn't bother with those old .history files before.

I believe these old .history files were just not properly cleaned up from some exercises done last year on previous/other incarnations and are now just polluting the WAL archive. I don't see why I would need .history files that are nearly a year older than the backup I'm restoring from, but just want to confirm it is safe to blow them all away.

Thanks,
Don.

--
Don Seiler