Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make fast promotion the default promotion mode. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make fast promotion the default promotion mode.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Wed, May  1, 2013 at 07:23:33PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > Heikki said "...remove pg_ctl -m fast/smart option altogether. There
>> > is no need to expose that to users."
>> >
>> > So it is no longer exposed to users. If there are others that share
>> > that opinion we may change this.
>>
>> /me blinks.
>>
>> I'm not sure we truly need two types of promotion.  But if we do, it
>> makes no sense to me to have it and not allow users to select the one
>> they want.
>
> I am also confused why we would have two promotion modes.  Either the
> default mode works, or it doesn't, and we fix it.  If there is enough
> concern that fast promotion will not work, should we remove that
> ability?

I don't have any other reason than that fast promotion is less stable.
I agree that we should spend the time testing the feature rather than
adding the workaround in this case.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao