Re: initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Noel
Subject Re: initdb error
Date
Re: initdb error  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> Did you use ports to install postgresql?

Yes

> What is the version of postgresql and freebsd you are using?

postgresql client and server v. 9.2.2. If all else fails I could try
downgrading to a previous version of postgres.

FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p5

> I am getting a different output while running
> the initdb command through the rc script, and it's not using the -D path to
> initialize the cluster, it falls back to the default location
> /usr/local/pgsql/data .  Setting postgresql_data="/usr/local/pgsql1/data"
> in /etc/rc.conf makes it initialize at the right location .  I did not had
> to mess with an permissions and the rc commands were all run as root. The
> above was tested on FreeBSD 9.1 with Postgresql 9.2 on UFS.

I didn't have any luck with the rc script but I was able to use it to
get a ktrace dump as root (ktrace as user pgsql doesn't seem to work).
So hopefully that will show something(!)