Re: Select count with offset returns nothing. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Misa Simic
Subject Re: Select count with offset returns nothing.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

 I think problem is in OFFSET 15

It means return rows after row 15... because of  SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM batches LIMIT 15 returns 1 row when you add OFFSET 15 - it returns nothing... because of there is no more than 15 rows...

I am not sure u can do something else then to change library to remove OFFSET in SELECT COUNT(*)

Kind Regrads,

Misa
2011/8/5 Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com>
I am using a library which is emitting SQL like this  SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM batches LIMIT 15 OFFSET 15 the library fails because on postgres
this query returns nothing (not even zero as a result). Presumably it
returns some valid value on mysql and other databases.

Other than hacking the library is there anything I can do?

Oddly enough SELECT count(*) FROM batches LIMIT 15 returns the full
count of the table. Presumably the count has to be done on a subquery
right?