Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:13 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Obviously if we were going to de-revert 7d3bf73ac then it wouldn't
quite be a straight de-revert. There would also be a few new comments
about the issue in relevant test files.

> 1a seems a bit ambitious but maybe it's worth doing, considering
> that right now there's a non-negligible chance of OOM if you
> try to drop a role that owns a huge number of objects, or just
> plain failure due to the stringinfo buffer for the message getting
> past MaxAllocSize.  Sending a gigabyte-sized message to the server
> log could be pretty unfriendly in some contexts, too.

All of these options seem acceptable. However, the problem is unlikely
to get any worse, so going to the trouble of option 1 or 1a might not
be the best use of time.

--
Peter Geoghegan