Re: Fwd: Problem with a "complex" upsert - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Fwd: Problem with a "complex" upsert
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> This results in clearly inserting wrong data and/or crashing the
> server. And it's not a huge effect outside of already broken scenarios.
> I think we definitely should try to get this in.

I tend to agree. You told me privately that you had a customer that
had the same issue, so we know that it has affected multiple users.

I think that the surface area for new bugs from the fix has a lot of
overlap with cases that are already probably quite broken. I'm
concerned that existing affected users could suffer pernicious logical
corruption, that goes unnoticed for a long time but ultimately does a
lot of damage.

In the end, it's a matter for Dean, but there is definitely a good
case for proceeding with a full backpatch now, in my view.

--
Peter Geoghegan