Re: data_checksums enabled by default (was: Move --data-checksums to common options in initdb --help) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: data_checksums enabled by default (was: Move --data-checksums to common options in initdb --help)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:55 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Vacuum performance is one of *THE* major complaints about
> postgres. Making it run slower by a lot obviously exascerbates that
> problem significantly. I think it'd be prohibitively expensive if it
> were 1.5x, not to even speak of 15x.

+1. I am *strongly* opposed to enabling checksums by default for this
reason. I think that it's a total non-starter, unless and until the
overhead can be dramatically reduced. The fact that it isn't the fault
of the checksum mechanism in some abstract sense is 100% irrelevant.

--
Peter Geoghegan