Re: [PERFORM] Pageinspect bt_metap help - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Pageinspect bt_metap help
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Neto pr <netopr9@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my example, the values of fast_root, fast_root are equal to root, level,
> I believe that due to the newly created index and no delete operations
> occurred in the table.

Fast root and true root will probably never be different, even when
there are many deletions, including page deletions by VACUUM. As I
understand it, the fast root thing is for a fairly rare, though still
important edge case. It's a way of working around the fact that a
B-Tree can never become shorter due to the locking protocols not
allowing it. We can instead just pretend that it's shorter, knowing
that upper levels don't contain useful information.

--
Peter Geoghegan