Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:56 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be neat if there were a tool you could run to somehow tell
> you whether catversion needs to be changed for a given patch.

That seems infeasible because of stored rules. A lot of things bleed
into that. We could certainly do better at documenting this on the
"committing checklist" page, though.

> Indeed, Simon got complaints a number of years ago (2010, it looks
> like) when he had the temerity to change the magic number to some
> other unrelated value instead of just incrementing it by one.

Off with his head!

> Although I think that the criticism was to a certain extent
> well-founded -- why deviate from previous practice? -- there is at the
> same time something a little crazy about somebody getting excited
> about the particular value that has been chosen for a number that is
> described in the very name of the constant as a MAGIC number.  And
> especially because there is absolutely zip in the way of code comments
> or a README that explain to you how to do it "right."

I have learned to avoid ambiguity more than anything else, because
ambiguity causes patches to flounder indefinitely, whereas it's
usually not that hard to fix something that's broken. I agree -
anything that adds ambiguity rather than taking it away is a big
problem.

> Well, perhaps I'm proposing some additional code, but I don't think of
> that as making the mechanism more complicated.  I want to make it
> simpler for patch submitters and reviewers and committers to not make
> mistakes that they have to run around and fix.

Right. So do I. I just don't think that it's that bad to ask the final
committer to do something once, rather than getting everyone else
(including committers) to do it multiple times. If we can avoid even
this burden, and totally centralize the management of the OID space,
then so much the better.

> If there are fewer
> kinds of things that qualify as mistakes, as in Tom's latest proposal,
> then we are moving in the right direction IMO regardless of anything
> else.

I'm glad that we now have a plan that is a clear step forward.

> I think Peter and I are more agreeing than we are at the opposite ends
> of a spectrum, but more importantly, I think it is worth having a
> discussion first about what people like and dislike, and what goals
> they have, and then only if necessary, counting the votes afterwards.

I agree that that's totally worthwhile.

> I don't like having the feeling that because I have a different view
> of something and want to write an email about that, I am somehow an
> impediment to progress.  I think if we reduce discussions to
> you're-for-it-or-your-against-it, that's not that helpful.

That was not my intention. The way that you brought the issue of the
difficulty of being a contributor in general into it was unhelpful,
though. It didn't seem useful or fair to link Tom's position to a big,
well known controversy.

We now have a solution that everyone is happy with, or can at least
live with, which suggests to me that Tom wasn't being intransigent or
insensitive to the concerns of contributors.

--
Peter Geoghegan