Re: REINDEX : new parameter to preserve current average leaf densityas new implicit FILLFACTOR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: REINDEX : new parameter to preserve current average leaf densityas new implicit FILLFACTOR
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 10:31 AM John Lumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yes,   I see that.     But surely "making splits occur less often" is a desirable
> objective in itself, is it not?     And I believe that a parameter to preserve the "steady-state"
> density in high-traffic indexes would help achieve that goal,   wouldn't you agree?

Anything that reliably reduces page splits without hurting space
utilization is well worthwhile. I can't see how what you describe
could have that effect, though. If you expect the leaf density to be
the same after a REINDEX, then why bother at all? There is no reason
to think that that will be more effective than simple vacuuming.

--
Peter Geoghegan