Re: [GENERAL] effective_io_concurrency increasing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: [GENERAL] effective_io_concurrency increasing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Surely you could prefetch all the heap pages pointed to by index items
> in the current leaf index page ...

I'm sure that you could do that too. I'm not sure how valuable each
prefetching optimization is.

I can imagine prefetching heap pages mattering a lot less for a
primary key index, where there is a strong preexisting correlation
between physical and logical order, while also mattering a lot more
than what I describe in other cases. I suppose that you need both.

--
Peter Geoghegan