Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 7:20 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Oh!  You mean that maybe the OldestXmin horizon was fine, but something
> decided not to update hint bits (and therefore also not the all-visible
> bit) anyway?  Worth investigating I guess.

Yes. That is starting to seem like a plausible alternative explanation.

> > I'd really like to know what the removable cutoff
> > looks like for these VACUUM operations, which is something like
> > Andres' VACUUM VERBOSE debug patch should tell us.
>
> Yeah.  I'd hoped to investigate this manually and not have to clutter
> the main repo with debugging commits.

Suppose that the bug was actually in 06f5295af6, "Add single-item
cache when looking at topmost XID of a subtrans XID". Doesn't that fit
your timeline just as well?

I haven't really started to investigate that theory (just putting
dinner on here). Just a wild guess at this point.

--
Peter Geoghegan