Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Umair Shahid
Subject Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section
Date
List pgsql-www

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 1:20 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

On 10/8/18 9:11 AM, Umair Shahid wrote:

> Hi. Any updates on this?
>
> If there is specific feedback on how to make this patch better, please
> let me know. Thanks!
We're sorry this is taking some time to get to - with the major release
and some other larger pgweb projects, in addition to some of the
discussion on how to set this up, we have not been able to prioritize
it. We will get to this in the weeks after the PG11 launch.

Our plan is to focus on doing some restructuring on the downloads page -
which there appears to be consensus - before adding additional
installers. Getting this done will allow us to add the installers
shortly, if not immediately, after.

Thank you for the explanation Jonathan, though I am not sure I quite get it. The Downloads page needs restructuring, which apparently needs to be done regardless of whether Postgres Installer is listed there. I don't understand why Postgres Installer should be held up because of it.

We moved quickly to address all concerns raised in the first round. It sends a rather discouraging message from the community if I find out about this decision more than a month after I sent the revised patch, and that too after repeated reminders.

I believe this puts Postgres Installer at a disadvantage, and without good reason. I would urge you to kindly reconsider. Thanks!

Thanks!

Jonathan

--
Umair Shahid