Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From julyanto SUTANDANG
Subject Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Hi All,

Can't resist to stay quite,
I am definitelly agree with Simon, PostgreSQL has longer story than '96, used as research as well as commercial, and evolving better up to now.

So we have to appreciate what prof Mike has initiate in the past and what DevGroup has done such great effort to support postgres being fastest enterprise level database up to now....

Let's have great party with him...

Love u all,

julyanto sutandang

On Apr 7, 2015 10:57 PM, "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 23 March 2015 at 05:18, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> For the 10th birthday we used the start of the online presence as our
> birthday, not the Postgres95 release. That's next year.
>
> It would seem odd to change the definition and celebrate a 20th birthday 9
> years after the 10th.

If we are going to celebrate something, we should be celebrating
Stonebraker's Turing award. It seems weird to celebrate a 20th
anniversary of Postgres next year, significantly more than 20 years
since Stonebraker did the work that won him the award.

Postgres was always open source, so celebrating the start of the open
source project in 1996 doesn't make sense.

We should invite Stonebraker and have a big party, forget the year.
Hell, he might even help pay if we asked.

--
 Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services