Re: request link to maintained pgAdmin 3 fork on main project page - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Mlodgenski, Jim
Subject Re: request link to maintained pgAdmin 3 fork on main project page
Date
List pgadmin-support

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:
Dave Page or whom it concerns,

Reflecting on feedback given to this list on a number of occasions including today about how pgAdmin 3 works better for some people than pgAdmin 4 does, and that pgAdmin 3 is officially unsupported, I recommend/request the following...

On the page https://www.pgadmin.org/download/ where it says "WARNING: pgAdmin 3 is no longer supported. It is recommended that you download pgAdmin 4 instead.", I recommend editing that to append "by us" or something similar, and then add a sentence and link saying that a third party (or several if applicable) has taken it on themselves to provide long-term support for pgAdmin 3, BigSQL at least.

So for people whom pgAdmin 4 isn't meeting their needs as well as pgAdmin 3, make it more easily known that BigSQL or others are explicitly offering support for that.  You would still say that you and the official pgAdmin forum does not provide support for these forks, but that their maintainers do.  You can also explicitly say you don't endorse the forks, but are making their existence known as a community service.

I think having this pointer on this page and probably in other places will help to cool some user concerns about having to choose between a rock and a hard place, not supported versus less stable.

The problem is (and I had a brief discussion with the guys from OpenSCG about this yesterday), I don't think they are going to do any additional work. The effort required to support PG 10.0 is significant due to the changes needed following the addition of declarative partitioning.

If that's not the case, please yelp Jim!

That's correct. Our plan with LTS is to make only minimal changes so that pgAdmin 3 doesn't produce any nasty looking error messages on newer versions of PostgreSQL. We don't plan on adding any functionality to support new features in the core like partitioning.