Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Koen De Groote
Subject Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13
Date
List pgsql-general
I seem to recall that going from 11 to 12, a certain configuration file was removed and the keys are now expected to be set in the regular configuration file? The logic being there should only ever be 1 configuration file.

I can't find it, but at the same time I don't recall what it's called. I believe it has to do with streaming replication?

Is this a thing or am I imagining stuff?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 12:34 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:30:00AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE) <
> daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote:
>     The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning
>     here:
>
> Release notes are probably a good place too but there is already a section in
> the main documentation where this needs to be added.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html
>
> Which is linked to from the main website.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
> needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
> makes a few minor notes on the topic:
> e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the
> release notes for each intervening version."

I have two patches --- one for our website, and another for our docs,
though not for the release notes specifically.  The release notes do
reference this doc section though.

My idea was to link the ability to skip upgrading to intervening
versions with the need to read intervening version release notes.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com