Re: pgtune + configurations with 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Johann Spies
Subject Re: pgtune + configurations with 9.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
I have done some tests using pgbench-tools with different configurations on our new server with 768G RAM and it seems for our purpose 32G shared_buffers would give the best results.

Regards
Johann

On 17 November 2014 at 07:17, Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net> wrote:
On 15 November 2014 06:00, Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> It is probably time to revisit this 8GB limit with some benchmarking. We
> don't really have a hard and fast rule that is known to be correct, and that
> makes Alexey's job really difficult. Informally folk (including myself at
> times) have suggested:
>
> min(ram/4, 8GB)
>
> as the 'rule of thumb' for setting shared_buffers. However I was recently

It would be nice to have more benchmarking and improve the rule of
thumb. I do, however, believe this is orthogonal to fixing pgtune
which I think should be using the current rule of thumb (which is
overwhelmingly min(ram/4, 8GB) as you suggest).

> benchmarking a machine with a lot of ram (1TB) and entirely SSD storage [1],
> and that seemed quite happy with 50GB of shared buffers (better performance
> than with 8GB). Now shared_buffers was not the variable we were
> concentrating on so I didn't get too carried away and try much bigger than
> about 100GB - but this seems like a good thing to come out with some numbers
> for i.e pgbench read write and read only tps vs shared_buffers 1 -> 100 GB
> in size.

I've always thought the shared_buffers setting would need to factor in
things like CPU speed and memory access, since the rational for the
8GB cap has always been the cost to scan the data structures. And the
kernel would factor in too, since the PG specific algorithms are in
competition with the generic OS algorithms. And size of the hot set,
since this gets pinned in shared_buffers. Urgh, so many variables.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/