Re: Adding more memory = hugh cpu load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Adding more memory = hugh cpu load
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Samuel Gendler
<sgendler@ideasculptor.com> wrote:
> The original question doesn't actually say that performance has gone down,
> only that cpu utilization has gone up. Presumably, with lots more RAM, it is
> blocking on I/O a lot less, so it isn't necessarily surprising that CPU
> utilization has gone up.  The only problem would be if db performance has
> gotten worse. Maybe I missed a message where that was covered?  I don't see
> it in the original query to the list.

Load average (which is presumably the metric in question) includes
both processes using the CPU and processes waiting for I/O.
So it *would* be strange for load average to go up like that, if
database configuration remains the same (ie: equal query plans)