Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley@hansenpartnership.com> wrote:

>>> But... either copy-on-write or forget-on-write needs a page fault, and
>>> thus a page mapping.
>>>
>>> Is a page fault more expensive than copying 8k?
>>>
>>> (I really don't know).
>>
>> A page fault can be expensive, yes ... but perhaps you don't need one.
>>
>> What you want is a range of memory that's read from a file but treated
>> as anonymous for writeout (i.e. written to swap if we need to reclaim
>> it). Then at some time later, you want to designate it as written back
>> to the file instead so you control the writeout order.  I'm not sure we
>> can do this: the separation between file backed and anonymous pages is
>> pretty deeply ingrained into the OS, but if it were possible, is that
>> what you want?
>
> Doesn't sound exactly like what I had in mind.  What I was suggesting
> is an analogue of read() that, if it reads full pages of data to a
> page-aligned address, shares the data with the buffer cache until it's
> first written instead of actually copying the data.  The pages are
> write-protected so that an attempt to write the address range causes a
> page fault.  In response to such a fault, the pages become anonymous
> memory and the buffer cache no longer holds a reference to the page.

Yes, that's basically zero-copy reads.

It could be done. The kernel can remap the page to the physical page
holding the shared buffer and mark it read-only, then expire the
buffer and transfer ownership of the page if any page fault happens.

But that incurrs:- Page faults, lots- Hugely bloated mappings, unless KSM is somehow leveraged for this

And there's a nice bingo. Had forgotten about KSM. KSM could help lots.

I could try to see of madvising shared_buffers as mergeable helps. But
this should be an automatic case of KSM - ie, when reading into a
page-aligned address, the kernel should summarily apply KSM-style
sharing without hinting. The current madvise interface puts the burden
of figuring out what duplicates what on the kernel, but postgres
already knows.