Re: Foreign key check only if not null? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eduardo Piombino
Subject Re: Foreign key check only if not null?
Date
List pgsql-general
hi, fks do just that.

you can create your fk with just one command:
alter table xxx add constraint fk_name foreign key (user_id) references users (id);

parent table's id field should also be of the same type and also it should be primary key or at least unique.
you can create your pk with (if you don't already have one):
alter table users add constraint pk_users primary key (id);

also i wouldn't use a varchar(100) as a pk field, i would suggest using some other datatype maybe a bigint, but that always finally depends on the model, like if there is a really good reason for using a varchar(100), well, it's your call.

regards,
eduardo