Re: Server vacuuming the same table again and again - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ilya Kosmodemiansky
Subject Re: Server vacuuming the same table again and again
Date
List pgsql-performance
Dmitry,

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Дмитрий Шалашов <skaurus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, we'll try new autovacuum settings!

I think things with vacuum will be much better.

If not, try to find out if you have long running transaction (several
minutes or more) and try to avoid such them.

> First, I have to say that load comes and go in waves - we don't yet
> understood why.
> All new waves have that behaviour - free disk, idle cpu.
> First such wave was before checkpoit_segments change, next waves after.

That could be a complicate problem caused by many things from suboptimal
sql-queries to network issues, could be not easy to guess.

- how many locks you have during the wave in comparison with normal workload?
- do you use some connection pooling (pgbouncer etc)?
- how about long running transactions I have mentioned above?
- are you using pg_stat_statements or any other method for detecting
slow queries?