Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ilya Kosmodemiansky
Subject Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Alexey,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Alexey Vasiliev <leopard_ne@inbox.ru> wrote:
> I read from several sources, what maximum shared_buffers is 8GB.

I believe that was an issue on some older versions, and thats why was
mentioned in several talks. Today it is a sort of apocrypha.

> Does this true? If yes, why exactly this number is maximum number of
> shared_buffers for good performance (on Linux 64-bits)?

25% of available RAM is a good idea to start. Sometimes, if you have
heavy workload _and_ it is possible to reside whole database in
memory, better to use something larger, about  ~75% of RAM.

Best regards,
Ilya
--
Ilya Kosmodemiansky,