Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig James
Subject Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
> We're buying a new server in the near future to replace an aging system. I'd
> appreciate advice on the best SSD devices and RAID controller cards
> available today.
SSDs are great, until you need more space. I'd rather have an 8TB xlog
partition of spinners when setting up replication and xlog archiving
than a 500GB xlog partition. 8TB sounds like a lot until you need to
hold on to a week's worth of xlog files on a busy server.

Good point. I'll talk to our guy who does all the barman stuff about this.

Craig

--
Craig A. James