Database Designer report at 28/07/2001 - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Luis Ochoa
Subject Database Designer report at 28/07/2001
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi, I don't report to this list (just to gsoc one) from some time, mostly because I don't want to spam it.

But, right now I want to share the status at the database modeler as today. As you can notice (and test at pgAdmin repository) right now you are able to create and save / load a single model in the database designer. A lot of bugs have been fixed, and we have now a more stable designer but still is a work in progress that will change in some time.

This week and last two I have been working on multiple views for same model feature:

This feature will bring some improvements over old one model approach for the designer, a slides presentation with this feature can be shown online at google docs:

http://goo.gl/XT2Az

Right now I still continue working on the feature and so far I have implemented a new approach for my hotdraw library that allow me to show in different views the same object, in a first step this was done for normal graphical objects like squares circles and so far, later it was done for polygon figures (harder case because each view can have different number of segments and other things).  Later all database designer figures were adapted to this new approach, and
right now I'm working in a way of reusing created objects inside the main model in all diagrams (a treeview with that info).

I hope to finish this feature by weekend or middle of next week, it depends of bug fixing because it have been a very deeply change in the library, that don't allow in their native architecture to show same figure in different views at same time.

At the presentation is included a screenshot at the end with the proposal UI.

Well, any ideas, suggestions or commentaries are welcome.

Regards, Luis.