Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Ozgun Erdogan <ozgun@citusdata.com> wrote:
Hey Robert,

Now the question is, where should the code that does all of this live?
 postgres_fdw?  Some new, sharding-specific FDW?  In core?  I don't
know for sure, but what I do know is that we could make a lot of
progress over where we are today by just improving postgres_fdw, and I
don't think those improvements are even all that difficult.  If we
decide we need to implement something new, it's going to be a huge
project that will take years to complete, with uncertain results.  I'd
rather have a postgres_fdw-based implementation that is imperfect and
can't handle some kinds of queries in 9.6 than a promise that by 9.9
we'll have something really great that handles MPP perfectly.

Distributed shuffles (Map/Reduce) are hard. When we looked at using FDWs for pg_shard, we thought that Map/Reduce would require a comprehensive revamp of the APIs.

For Citus, a second part of the question is as FDW writers. We implemented cstore_fdw, json_fdw, and mongo_fdw, and these wrappers don't benefit from even the simple join pushdown that doesn't require Map/Reduce.

I didn't get this. Join pushdown infrastructure (chiefly set of hooks provided in join planning paths) is part of 9.5. Isn't that sufficient to implement join push-down for above FDWs? Or FDW writers are facing problems while implementing those hooks. In either case that should be reported on hackers.

The PostgreSQL wiki lists 85 foreign data wrappers, and only 18 of these have support for joins: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers

Best,
Ozgun

--