Re: [HACKERS] user mapping messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: [HACKERS] user mapping messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Andrew Dunstan
<andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> While reviewing the IF NOT EXISTS patch for CREATE USER MAPPING I
> noticed that in several places we treat the user name as the name of the
> user mapping. Strictly ISTM that user mappings are really anonymous
> objects, so instead of something like user "mapping \"%s\" does not
> exist for the server" we should possibly have "user mapping for user
> \"%s\" does not exist for the server".

Your proposed usage is better than the existing one.

> I was about to make that change
> in the patch when I saw that it was consistent with current usage. Do we
> want to stick with the current usage where we treat the user name as the
> mapping name, or change it?

We should change existing usage and then commit the patch with new
usage. The new message being added should be consistent with other
places.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat