Re: SELECT slows down on sixth execution - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: SELECT slows down on sixth execution
Date
List pgsql-performance

On 10/20/2015 03:45 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:spam_eater@gmx.net>>:
>
>     Jonathan Rogers schrieb am 17.10.2015 um 04:14:
>     >>> Yes, I have been looking at both plans and can see where they
>     diverge.
>     >>> How could I go about figuring out why Postgres fails to see the
>     large
>     >>> difference in plan execution time? I use exactly the same parameters
>     >>> every time I execute the prepared statement, so how would
>     Postgres come
>     >>> to think that those are not the norm?
>     >>
>     >> PostgreSQL does not consider the actual query execution time, it only
>     >> compares its estimates for there general and the custom plan.
>     >> Also, it does not keep track of the parameter values you supply,
>     >> only of the average custom plan query cost estimate.
>     >
>     > OK, that makes more sense then. It's somewhat tedious for the
>     purpose of
>     > testing to execute a prepared statement six times to see the plan
>     which
>     > needs to be optimized. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way
>     > to force use of a generic plan in SQL based on Pavel Stehule's reply.
>

>     If you are using JDBC the threshold can be changed:
>
>        https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/94/server-prepare.html
>
>      https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/publicapi/org/postgresql/PGStatement.html#setPrepareThreshold%28int%29
>
>     As I don't think JDBC is using anything "exotic" I would be
>     surprised if this
>     can't be changed with other programming environments also.
>

> This is some different - you can switch between server side prepared
> statements and client side prepared statements in JDBC.  It doesn't
> change the behave of server side prepared statements in Postgres.

I am using psycopg2 with a layer on top which can automatically PREPARE
statements, so I guess that implements something similar to the JDBC
interface. I did solve my problem by turning off the automatic preparation.

yes, you did off server side prepared statements.

Pavel

--
Jonathan Rogers
Socialserve.com by Emphasys Software