Re: The case for version number inflation - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: The case for version number inflation
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2013/3/2 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Related to this:
>
> Apparently MariaDB is arbitrarily bumping their next release up to
> version 10 in order to jump "ahead" of Oracle MySQL.  It seems not a
> coincidence that they chose a major version number one ahead of Postgres.

After last 10 years has PostgreSQL significantly better reputation
than MySQL or MariaDB - minimally in Czech Republic and higher release
number in MariaDB change nothing if we stay in our quality and we will
enhance performance.

I have list of committed patches and I don't see any patch that have a
weight for jump to version 10. Almost all new features will not be
fully complete in 9.3 - and it will be done in 9.4.

Regards

Pavel