Re: psql shows line number - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: psql shows line number
Date
Re: psql shows line number  (Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to>)
List pgsql-hackers

2013/11/26 Sawada Masahiko <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> On 11/26/13 1:05 PM, Sawada Masahiko wrote:
>>
>> When I execute query which contains error, the server returns error
>> with line number.
>>
>> ERROR:  relation "hoge" does not exist
>> LINE 35: hoge;
>>
>> But when query is long, I was not sure the location where I wrote wrong
>> SQL.
>> Does the psql have option which shows line number?
>> If no, I'm thinking to implement this feature. Thought?
>> I think it is useful if the psql shows line number like follows
>

> If the query is long, you'll likely want to  \e  to edit it anyway, no?  I'm
> sure any text editor worth $EDITOR will know how to jump to a specific line.
Thanks!
¥e is also good. I didn't know this.
I thought that showing line number on psql is light and simple.
So I thought that psql can also have such feature as standard function.

> idea is interesting, but a proposed format is not clean (and little bit ugly, and
> can be barrier for copy from terminal to editor. Now,  simple replace can be used for cleaning.
Thanks!
Yes, it is little ugly.
I was also thinking to fill space of line number with whitespace. likes:

[  1]postgres=# SELECT
[  2]postgres=# hoge.col1
:
[  9]postgres=# FROM
[ 10]postgres=# hoge;

But I think that it is also something just isn't right.

> maybe we can introduce a command, that will print SQL from history with line numbers - like \sf+
I think that ¥sf+ shows definition of function. How should I use this?

yes, but we can define new statement like \sq+ (Show Query)

Pavel

Regards,

-------
Sawada Masahiko