Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 01/06/16 08:04, Jim Nasby wrote:
increase the number of active developers. My very talented colleague
doesn't write to Postgres due C language. He like to write planner in
lisp or erlang. Or like to play in these languages. C is barrier for
younger people.

better job of "eating our own dog food". I think it would also be very
interesting if there were add-on frameworks that allowed things like a
planner written in another language (which with the planner hooks might
actually be possible).

Amazing how stuff comes back.

A bit of history...  The very first Postgres planner was written in Lisp.  Mostly this was to get the first usable system going quickly. The problems with performance, garbage collection and memory use made a rewrite a high priority.

I am sorry for offtopic. I didn't propose to rewrite Postgres to Lisp. C is the most perfect language for long term production usage. But it isn't good language for scientific work, playing, testing hypothesis.

IMO, most of this discussion is off track.  Sadly, a significant percentage of highly capable programmers are not very good at personal interaction.  At some point, poor people skills negate the value of programming skills.  I do think that needs recognition and a willingness to say goodbye to persons who bring disrepute to the effort of keeping the Postgresql world moving forward.  The problem is codifying such rules and that these same people who have the problem will likely argue such rules to the death.  Maybe the present discussion is an example.

Jeff Anton