Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc
Date
List pgsql-docs

2014/1/13 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 06:10:24AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>     I find the rules above so complex that I don't see how we can recommend
>     a best syntax.  What I did in the patch I just posted was to put the
>     preferred operator first, but I don't see why we want to get into these
>     details in the docs.
>

> just a note about preferred variant should be ok. Using ':=' in GET DIAGNOSTICS
> statement is just bad idea.

Agreed.  I added a sentence in the first mention of GET DIAGNOSTICS, and
indicated it was generic for that command.  What I also added was your
description of when to use := and =, but I put it in the C comments so
we have a record of it and if we need to expand the description or
behavior later.

I'll be more happy if a comment about GET DIAGNOSTICS statement will be in user space.

Regards

Pavel

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us