Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers

čt 6. 12. 2018 v 16:26 odesílatel Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> napsal:
On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:23 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem to imagine it. When fill factor will be low, then there is high risk of high fragmentation - or there some body should to do defragmentation.

I don't understand this.

I don't know if zheap has or has not any tools for elimination fragmentation of space of page. But I expect so after some set of updates, when record size is mutable, the free space on page should be fragmented. Usually, when you have less memory, then fragmentation is faster.

Pavel

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company