Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #1) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #1)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar  2, 2018 at 12:13:26PM -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> FWIW, I think that pgbench would become a lot more usable if someone
> maintained a toolset for managing pgbench. Something similar to Greg
> Smith's pgbench-tools project, but with additional features for
> instrumenting the server. There would be a lot of value in integrating
> it with third party tooling, such as perf and BCC, and in making it
> easy for non-experts to run relevant, representative tests.
>
> Things like the rate limiting and alternative distributions were
> sorely needed, but there are diminishing returns. It's pretty clear to
> me that much of the remaining low hanging fruit is outside of pgbench
> itself. None of the more recent pgbench enhancements seem to make it
> easier to use.

Has anyone considered moving pgbench out of our git tree and into a
separate project where a separate team could maintain and improve it?

It shares code with psql.

Regards

Pavel

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +