Re: Fix for issue RM1336 [pgadmin4] - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Harshal Dhumal
Subject Re: Fix for issue RM1336 [pgadmin4]
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

PFA upadated patch for RM1336

Issue fixed: Query tool shortcuts weren't working on mac runtime. Also changed shortcut key for "Explain analyze" from Ctrl+Shift+A ---> Alt+Shift+N as Ctrl+Shift+A was conflicting with shortcut to show "about" dialog in runtime.

--
Harshal Dhumal
Software Engineer

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Colin Beckingham <colbec@kingston.net> wrote:

> On 20/06/16 09:33, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> It's not that it's necessarily hard, it's that there are only 24 hours in
>> the day to get things done. We've got a long list of improvements to make -
>> some immediate (i.e. in time for betaX - 2 being today in fact), others for
>> GA and others for future releases. Meanwhile, much as I'd like to, I cannot
>> keep 10 people assigned to pgAdmin indefinitely. I do need to get them
>> working on other projects, for which there are also deadlines.
>
> Since pgadmin4 is at the top of the stack browser - window environment - OS
> - kernel, all of which have their call on some specific set of shortcuts, a
> couple of thoughts:
> 1. are there other applications similar to pgadmin which are in the same
> position where they too are looking for shortcuts? In which case is there a
> possibility of cross-fertilization of ideas?

The only app I've found so far like that is Gmail, but 95% of it's
shortcuts are single keys that only work when you're not already
focussed in an editable field. In pgAdmin, that doesn't help much in
cases like this, when you're likely editing a query.

> 2. in the world of software shortcuts, the needs of dependent applications
> such as pgadmin might not have been foreseen, but is there in the hierarchy
> a moral obligation to keep a certain subset of combinations free? At the
> moment it seems like a free for all...

Yeah, you'd think there should be some moral obligation, but you're
right - it is a free for all.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com