OSX: migrating Postgres db from one Mac to another - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlo Poso
Subject OSX: migrating Postgres db from one Mac to another
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,
my Mac unfortunately crashed. I have a Time Machine backup.
Using the Migration Assistant on a new Mac allowed me to get all my documents back, but unfortunately Postgres is not able to start.

So I was trying to manually set-up my Postgres db.

Here are the steps:

  • install a fresh copy of Postgres (v11)
  • replace the /Library/PostgreSQL/11/data folder with the one I dig out from my dead Mac, where I assume my data is stored
  • check/fix owner of folders (must be 'postgres', I assume)
  • start pgAdmin
  • enter the PW for postgres user
  • click on "PostgreSQL 11" server to show databases

This is where I have problems. I am prompted with the same pop-up asking me to enter the password for the user 'postgres'. I type it and I get the following:Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 15.25.03.png

Carlo
Attachment