Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
Re: Last gasp  (Jay Levitt <jay.levitt@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Jay Levitt <jay.levitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rather than extend the CF app into a trivial-patch workflow app, it might be
> worth looking at integrating it with github.

There's a reluctance to require a proprietary component that could
disappear on us without notice.

The existence of git itself is a result of *exactly* that
circumstance, as Linux kernel developers had gotten dependent on
BitKeeper, whereupon the owner decided to take his toys home, at which
point they were left bereft of "their" SCM tool.
<http://kerneltrap.org/node/4966>

I expect that it would be more worthwhile to look into enhancements to
git workflow such as <http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/> Gerrit.  I
don't know that Gerrit is THE answer, but there are certainly projects
that have found it of value, and it doesn't have the "oops, it's
proprietary" problem.