Re: Please let me know which configuration setting we need to modifyto speedup the pg_dump backup. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Please let me know which configuration setting we need to modifyto speedup the pg_dump backup.
Date
In response to Please let me know which configuration setting we need to modify tospeedup the pg_dump backup.  (Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Please let me know which configuration setting we need to modifyto speedup the pg_dump backup.  (Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 10:32 PM Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

pg_dump is taking more time. Please let me know which configuration setting we need to modify to speedup the pg_dump backup.We are using 9.2 version on Centos Box.

There certainly isn't a configuration parameter to say "make PG dump faster."

- It is possible that it is taking longer to backup the database because the database has grown in size.  If you have a lot more data captured, this would be a natural consequence, that you need simply to accept.

But there are additional possibilities...

- Perhaps the database is bloated because an update pattern is leading to a lot of dead data being left behind.  In that case some tables need to be vacuumed much more often and you should look into the auto vacuum configuration.

- Perhaps the database has some table that contains a lot of obsolete data.  This would depend heavily on the nature of your application.

You should look to see what data you are collecting that is not of ongoing value.  That may represent data that you should trim out of the database.  That should improve the amount of time it takes to do a backup of the database.