Re: Creating a role with read only privileges but user is allowed to change password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ravi Roy
Subject Re: Creating a role with read only privileges but user is allowed to change password
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks a lot Tom, it worked by putting off the read only mode to off before changing the password and putting it on again.

> SET default_transaction_read_only = off;

Worked for me..

Many thanks to you!

Regards
Ravi

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Ravi Roy <ravi.aroy@gmail.com> writes:
> I've created a role named "MyRole" in posgresql with the following :

> CREATE ROLE "MyRole" NOSUPERUSER LOGIN NOCREATEDB NOCREATEROLE NOINHERIT
> PASSWORD "MyPassword";

> ALTER ROLE "MyRole" set default_transaction_read_only = on;

> Because I wanted this role to readonly (can not change anything in DB but
> only view).

You realize, I hope, that breaking out of that restriction is no harder
than issuing

SET default_transaction_read_only = off;

or even

BEGIN TRANSACTION READ WRITE;

So that ALTER ROLE might be of some use as a protection against accidental
changes, but it's certainly no form of security restriction.  (What you
probably want to do instead of this is make sure the role doesn't have
select/update/delete privileges for any of your tables.)

> But later I realized this role is not even allowed to change his password.

Just do one of the above things first...

                        regards, tom lane